Thursday, March 30, 2017

Bulloch Hall 35th Quilt Show - first floor

Bulloch Hall presented again this year a lovely display of creative and colorful quilts, new and old, contemporary and antiques.  As in previous years the quilts were hanging throughout the antebellum 1840 mansion.  This 35th Great American Cover-up Quilt Show took place March 10 through 19, 2017.

We went on Friday afternoon, March 17, which was St. Patrick's Day.  The lady and her daughter ahead of us were wearing their "green."  My husband was also wearing his green trousers.  There were not many leaves on trees but still plenty of green foliage and green grass. (Click on collage twice to enlarge.)

The 35th Quilt Show was dedicated to the memory of Dorothy L. Bovard.  Dorothy was a member of the Bulloch Hall Quilt Guild for more than 25 years and executed beautiful original quilts.  Her family loaned two of her quilts which were on display at the top of the stairs going from the first floor to the second floor; they are shown below.  One is called "Snow Falling on Spring Flowers (2003)" and the other is "Whoo-o-o Makes your Happy (2008)" - a quilt to make children laugh.

There was a table in the Front Hall with brochures giving information on the quilts.  We were also given a ticket to enter the quilt number of our favorite quilt.

Quilt no. 1 (top left below) is called Intertwined Hearts by Ann Quandee who made the quilt to celebrate her husband's parents' 50th wedding anniversary.  The Parlor had a special exhibit by artist Elizabeth Barton, who was born in York, England and immigrated to the USA.  She makes beautiful wall hangings but photographs were not allowed.  (You can catch a glimpse at a couple of them from the side of the left bottom photo below.)

The left bottom photo above is quilt no. 7 "Teaching of Baltimore" by Elizabeth Frolet.  It took 1,500 hours to complete.  Her quilt won the 2017 Viewer Choice Award.

Quilt No. 5 called "Daisy" by Subbha Thrivikraman was developed from a photograph taken in her garden.

Quilt No. 6 "A Toast to Toulouse Lautrec" by Kay Donges is a tribute to the French artist.  In this illustration Lautrec took his inspiration from can-can dancer Jane Avril and from Aristide Bruant who was a cabaret singer, comedian and nightclub owner.

As we walked into the Dining Room the work of talended quilters was displayed on the table, and on the walls.

 While I was taking a picture of the quilt on the table I heard a noise - one of the quilts had fallen to the floor.  No one was close to it; I went back to snap its picture.  Later on, the quilt owner, Wanda Rose Stewart, took the quilt away.  I was pleased to have taken the picture of her red headed paper doll quilt.  The quilt was named "Rose Girl #1 ... Paper Doll Stories."

I liked quilt no. 12 "ABC's Meet Quilt Blocks" by Elleda Rule, a fun quilt.

Unique quilts were warming the atmosphere in the Warming Room.

I liked the "Great Blue Heron" by Marie Monks Wood in the Back Hall.  No. 34 is "Village on the Danube" by Dianes Berdis - quilted after a trip down the Danube River.

In the Informal Parlor was quilt no. 43 "Sunny" by Ellen Lott, which I placed already at the top of this post.  Ellen says that she was given the colors blue and orange as a challenge and, to her, that meant the sun and sky.  No. 37, top left below, is "My Pieces of Peace" by Joyce Daniels and includes some Adinkra symbols from Africa.

More lovely quilts were waiting in the Master Bedroom.

I walked around the room to take a closer look at them.

Quilt No. 57 is called "Wooly Critters" by Pam Bohlander of Marietta, GA.

The raffle quilt "Shakespeare in the Park" was hanging in the Library.  Another lovely red quilt was no. 66 "Star of Mu" by O. V. Brantley of Atlanta.  She says "Star of Mu commemorates my daughter's initiation into our sorority Delta Sigma Theta - Mu Chapter."

The vertical quilt on the left, below, is "Tropical Island" by Joan Lindley of Savannah and the vertical quilt on the right is "You are my Sunshine" by Holly Anderson of Cumming, GA.

Next we went up the staircase going to the second floor, stopping along the way to admire more pretty quilts.  Quilt no. 73 is called "My Daddy" by Emily Wert.  She says "Given to my mother in memory of my wonderful daddy, Jan Boal (10-20-30 to 1-16-13.)"

The quilts from the second floor and attic will be shown in my next post because I am short of time.  We are still in the process of moving to Nashville, but the process is going very slowly.  My husband's dementia/Alzheimer is in the middle stages now and he needs more supervision.  Since I am the sole caregiver I have very little free time to do much else, including clearing the house or going on the computer.  I thought that last Sunday, March 26, being my birthday, I would spend some fun time and write this post, but found out that my only first cousin, from Cairo, Egypt, had passed away that day.  I was sad and did very little.  Since my husband did not remember it was my birthday, we did not celebrate.

My mother used to buy some hyacinth bulbs for my birthday.  I did buy a small pot but it had not bloomed yet and I did not see that the bulbs were tulips, no hyacinths, but they were pretty.  But I do not want to end on a sad note.  Just a couple of days ago as we were walking to the store I saw this little boy statue holding a small frog.  He looks innocent and happy surrounded by spring flowers - spring is here!




25 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I look forward to going to the quilt show with you every year.
Beautiful work, and so much talent. Thank you.
Belated, but heartfelt birthday wishes. I hope the coming year is kinder to you.

donna baker said...

Absolutely unbelievable quilts.

Linda said...

Lovely photos and quilts. Thank you so much for sharing.

ELFI said...

je suis en admiration...aussi devant le travail immense!

Moving with Mitchell said...

My heart is with you. Thanks for still managing to find time to share so much beauty.

DJan said...

So many unique and delightful quilts. I especially love that smiling sun at the beginning, but they are all amazingly well crafted and displayed. I wish you a better year coming up, and that my belated birthday wishes signal that you are loved and cherished by many of your readers. Sending you many virtual hugs. :-)

Marie-Anne said...

Tous ces quilts sont vraiment fantastiques!!!!!
Merci de nous les avoir présentés, chère Vagabonde!
J'espère que tu me permets de mettre un link sur mon blog, car j'ai beaucoup d'amies en Grèce qui aiment le patchwork et les quilts (?)
Meilleurs voeux pour ton anniversaire et bon courage pour le déménagement.
Bisous et bon weekend!
Marie-Anne

David said...

Vagabonde, Happy belated birthday! Life can be a real challenge and you're definitely going through some truly challenging times... Wishing you the best! Being a full time care giver and trying to prep for your move to Nashville at the same time has to be tough...but hang in there. As for the quilts, despite the fact that these modern quilts are well done...works of art even...I still prefer the antique designs...and antique quilts. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Thérèse said...

Quelle organisation! Je n'aurais qu'une envie: coller mes yeux sur certains pour examiner les détails comme celui de la marguerite ou celui sur H. de Toulouse Lautrec. Le "great blue heron" me fait penser à l'Arizona où nous en avons croisé dernièrement.
A belated Happy Birthday Vagabonde! Cela doit être dur, j'espère que les évènements journaliers seront plus faciles à maîtriser à Nashville dont le nom seul me fait rêver. J'aime la Country Music.
En attendant comme vous le dites si bien le printemps tend les bras et à nous de l'embrasser.

joared said...

These are such unique colorful -- truly spectacular quilts! Thanks for sharing them here with all your lovely photos.

The Broad said...

Such very beautiful work, so many talented people. I love especially the heron -- it reminds me of a small pond in Connecticut near where my parents lived... But really it's impossible to have a favourite. Thank you for another beautiful post. And Happy Belated Birthday!

Mae Travels said...

Your photos of quilts are really stunning. I especially like the blue with snowflakes.

I wish you the best in your efforts to move to Nashville and deal with all your and your husband's challenges!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Pat said...

What a wondrous selection of quilts. No faded beauties - they are so vibrant so different and quite awe inspiring. I feel for you Vagabonde and your quiet birthday - mine was in total contrast to how it was when Alastair was here. At least one has the memory of happier times. I pray life will get easier for you. Do try to take care of yourself.

Nadezda said...

Vagabonde, I liked "Great Blue Heron" and quilt no 57. They are very pretty. I started making quilt too and understood it's not very easy work but very creative.
Thanks for sharing this interesting show, I liked the virtual visit!

Magic Love Crow said...

So good to see you my friend! First I have to say, Happy Birthday! I'm sending you a BIG HUG and many BLESSINGS! This is such a beautiful post! truly enjoyed all the quilts and the stories behind them! Glad you got a photo of Rose Girl! Please take care!! Much Love!

Jenny Woolf said...

I adore quilt shows, and its always so hard to know which I like the best. But I think of the ones you show it is probably "Shakespeare in the Park" I might change my mind if I visited the show and saw them in real life, and would revert to that feeling of "I'm glad I am not a judge at this show, because I could hardly choose the best!"

Vicki Lane said...

Such beautiful quilts! Thank you for sharing. I'm so glad to hear that the move is under way and hope that it can be accomplished soon.

Shammickite said...

The quilts are wonderful works of art. Keep smiling, and caring for your dear husband. And I am wishing you a very happy birthday.

Carola Bartz said...

A belated but very happy birthday to you. I'm sorry that it turned out to be a sad day for you.
Those quilts are amazing. I really like the owls, and that red haired girl is wonderful. I'm so glad you could take a picture of it before it was taken away. There are so many more quilts that spoke to me - it's fascinating what talented people can make out of fabric.

Jeanie said...

I always love these quilt show posts. I think my favorites in this batch might be the sun in the first photo, the snowflake quilt and that gorgeous heron or crane. Gee, sounds like me!

I didn't realize it was your birthday. And I'm so sorry it was a sad one with the loss of your cousin, lack of recognition by your husband and then slow-blooming hyacinths. I always celebrate with me no matter who remembers or says something and that's usually great but having the death of a family member would indeed make it all the sadder -- that and the recognition that this birthday certainly signifies changes in your life, not all happy ones. Sending love and good wishes. May your new year bring you some happiness and contentment during the whirlwind of life challenges.

Nadezda said...

Happy Easter, dear Vagabonde!
I wish you and Jim health and quiet warm days, enjoy this spring.

claude said...

Hello Vagabonde !
Toujours très intéressantes tes visites à la Maison des quilts. Quel magnifique travail ! je suis très admirative. Ce n'est pas que tu travail manuel mais de l'art, du vrai.
Désolée pour ton anniversaire, je crois que je l'ai oublié aussi.
Bon courage pour la continuation du déménagement.
Je t'embrasse

Dee said...

Dear Vagabonde, my returning to blogging and to reading your latest posting is made so delightful by these colorful and creative quilts. One you said took 1,500 hours. Oh the patience of that artist.

I hope all is well. I'm trying to get to several blogs today and renew acquaintances, so I'm not going to go back over the postings of the last few months, but I'd so like to know your thoughts about what is happening right now in France with regard to the election.

Peace.

joared said...

Belated happy birthday to you! Sorry your cousin has left you with only memories but I hope you can treasure them through the years to come, A. couple blogs with links on my sidebar might be of interest to you as support for coping with spousal declining function: Alice In Memoryland and Life's Little Surprises -- both have very good links to other supportive sites. I think of you and hope you are able to obtain support for some of your responsibilities. Taking good care of yourself is a necessity, not a luxury.

Enjoyed viewing these marvelous quilts. Have a number my mother quilted many years ago -- based on more traditional quilt patterns that I treasure.

Jeanne said...

These quilts are all just amazing, and what a fun place to go and see this art

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...