Thursday, December 23, 2021

Downton Abbey in Atlanta, Georgia, part 1

The first time I went to England was during the school Christmas holidays. A Paris company organized trips to England for teenagers. First you selected a pen pal who was of your age and more or less matched your interests. Then after corresponding for several months the French teenager would visit her/his pen pal family in the UK and in turn, the British pen pal would visit the French family during the Easter school holidays. My grandfather, wishing to improve my English language, enrolled me with this group very late, in November, so I never had a chance to select or write to my pen pal. I was just given a name - Yvonne, address and a photo. I still have the photo; see below - Yvonne in her school uniform. She was a year older than me, and quite tall. She lived in Greater London, on the District Line of the Tube. I was 13 1/2 years old then and had never been overseas by myself. On the right she is with her mother and younger sister while giving me a tour of London. Below is a picture of me on the left and Yvonne at Easter in Paris. This was end of year 1953 (there were still buildings bombed from the war in London) and spring 1954 in Paris.
The family was very friendly. I could barely speak English and my pen pal could speak no French, but I had a great Christmas there. Actually they invited me every year after that and I crossed the Channel to spend Christmas with them for many years - until I was 20 years old. Christmas in England was so much more fun than in Paris for me. I still remember when they took me to the famous London Fortnum and Mason for afternoon tea, and pastries - so delicious. That is when I started drinking tea in the afternoon. I also spent several summer holidays there and attended college for one year. My English language improved tremendously but Yvonne never wished to speak French, she never learned.
Even after I moved to San Francisco, I would often stop in London at Christmas time on my way to visit my parents in Paris. I had planned to travel to London and Paris this year but with the Covid restrictions, this was not going to happen. Last week I was in my Georgia house and saw an ad for an exhibition on Downton Abbey, an exhibition happening right now. So I went. It was in Sandy Springs, north of Atlanta, and only about 15 miles from my house using the back roads. They stated: "Downton Abbey: The Exhibition, based on the beloved television show, transports you to post-Edwardian England, where the characters and the iconic house come to life. You'll be immersed in the fascinating social history, culture, and some of the most memorable moments from the show's six-season run. Experience the History - The Fashion - The House." If I could not travel to London for Christmas, going to Downton Abbey in Atlanta was a perfect alternative.
All staff and visitors were required to wear masks inside the venue. Tickets had to be purchased in advance for a specific time slot. I went at 11 am on Thursday 16 December, 2021, and spent 3 1/2 hours there but could have stayed longer as there was so much to see, listen to and read. The Atlanta exhibit opens Thursday through Mondays and ends on January 17, 2022.
For those who may not have watched Downton Abbey on television - it is a period drama set on a fictional English estate, called Downton Abbey, in Yorkshire. It lasted 6 seasons, following the fictional aristocratic Grantham family, their friends and servants from the sinking of the Titanic in April 1912 through 1926. It was very popular, a world-wide phenomena actually, and won many awards. During the series we witnessed the way of life of Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham, his American-born wife, Cora, and their three daughters - Mary, Edith and Sybil, as well as the domestic staff. As you enter the exhibit you watch a short video where Mr. Carson, the butler, welcomes you as if you are a guest of the Crawley family.
Most of the rooms were dark. I used my small Sony camera and my cell phone, so the quality of the photos is not the best. As soon as you enter the first of the 11 rooms you are transported into post-Edwardian England. There are actual props, outfits that were used in the show and recreations of the sets - in mirrors as well along the wall, life size. (Click on collage to enlarge.)
It seems as if you are looking at them through a patio door - very realistic.
There is a display for each character in the show with some facts about that person as well as personal effects from the show. For example the display may include handwritten letters, invoices, photos and more. Some of the displays have drawers that have additional information on the era. The photos of the characters from the show may come alive and speak from one of the scenes of the show. Some stations had speakers and you could listen to a short video to completely immerse you in the fascinating culture of that time and its social history.
Even if a person had never heard of the Downton Abbey series they would be interested in learning about British society, fashion and culture from that post-Edwardian period with its fast changes from World War 1 to the Roaring Twenties. There was great attention to details. The display on Mrs. Patmore, the cook of Downton Abbey, explained her day in the kitchen and the cookbook she used. Next to her was a display on Daisy, her assistant cook.
Some of the items displayed (that had been used in the tv series,) were real antiques.
As you walked in some room, video snippets of the show would appear on the walls to transport you there and witness the event.
Violet Crawley, the fictional Dowager Countess of Grantham (born in 1842) the widow of the 6th Earl of Grantham, matriarch of the family in the series had a whole display wall devoted to her.
There were information panels on her dresses and a television set playing some of her best quotes - such as "Don't be defeatest, dear. It's very middle class." And "Switzerland has everything to offer, except perhaps conversation. And one can learn to live without that."
There are more photos to show you but it will have to wait to my next blog post for part two. Now I have to wrap some presents and bake some cookies. I brought my Christmas and holiday decorations from Georgia last week but they are in boxes still. I thought I would just use my little metal tree that holds greeting cards but, alas, I just received a couple this year. It seems that with social media most people don't send greetings cards anymore. Of course, it is much easier to type some general Christmas greetings on the computer on Facebook, Instagram, etc., and click "send" no time spent in writing individual cards with a special thought, no stamp, no mail, easy does it. But opening a greeting in the in-box is not the same as in the mailbox, and you can't use an e-greeting as a decoration in your house, or years later read cards from family and friends who have died. Social media greetings are not very personal and for those like me who do not read Facebook and don't know what Instagram is, then I don't get many greetings - it is sad, another tradition gone. So since I received only a couple of Christmas cards (not cards actually, but photos of the families who sent them) I used my vintage postcards on my metal tree.
Let's hope that this holiday season will be the last that keeps us isolated. Cheers to a better 2022!

15 comments:

Christine said...

What a wonderful experience....sort of close up and personal but not...
I am missing Paris dreadfully, always loved the Christmas market at La Defence... Two years now.....
We have a Downton film at Christmas on the TV, think it is a new one.
I am like you about Christmas cards, so worthwhile to send a few kind words on a card which can be read down the years.
Have a good Christmas, with some hugs and laughter but stay safe.
I too hope 2022 will be better for our freedom and health.
xxxx

DJan said...

Merry Christmas! What a wonderful treat it must have been to see the Downton Abbey event. I also enjoyed hearing about your pen pal adventure. Thank you so much for the blog post, which for me takes the place of a Christmas card very well. Sending you some virtual hugs! :-)

Marie-Anne said...

Tout mignon to petit arbre en metal! Moi aussi, je continue à décorer les vieilles cartes de voeux!
Je te souhaite un très joyeux Noël, chère Vagabonde, et une nouvelle année 2022 pleine de bonne santé et d'amour pour toi et tous ceux qui te sont chers!!!

Divers and Sundry said...

What wonderful memories you have of Christmases past!

That exhibition sounds enjoyable.

Happy Christmas Eve!

Davey Bacaron Manulife said...

Love the photos, thanks for sharing!

Jenn Jilks said...

These are wonderful images! Thank you for sharing your memories.
Merry Christmas!

David said...

Hi Vagabonde, Merry Christmas! I hope that you and you family have a great time together in Nashville. As for this Downton Abbey display, thanks for the information. If my better half is out of her 'boot' in time, following her broken and surgically repaired ankle from November, we'll head on down to Atlanta and check it out. It was one of her must watch TV series. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Kay said...

Thank you for sharing this with us. I would love to have seen that exhibit. I saw the movie first and liked it so much we watched the entire series. Have a very MERRY and SAFE Christmas!

Nadezda said...

It's very nice to see this show over there in the USA, Vagabonde. I liked it very much, I looked it for the third time. I did not send you a postcard (as you write, these traditions are gone)
I say:
A merry Christmas to you, dear!
May you and your family feel light and laughter, love, peace, health and joy in this holiday. I wish your Christmas be relaxing so that you can recharge for the new year. Happy Holidays!

joared said...

I enjoyed viewing Downton Abbey and so appreciated this post. Will look forward to your next one.

I, too, miss receiving Christmas cards. I used to send and receive so many, but they've been dwindling in number the past decade as more and more of my family and friends have died. I received only 5 this year and have not heard from one dear friend for months so fear either she or her husband, both longtime college friends for whom I played cupid may be ill. Numerous others younger departing life is especially difficult to accept. I guess this is one of the displeasures of growing older.

Thérèse said...

Bonne et douce fin d'année aussi bien qu'une bonne année 2022 qui j'espère sera meilleure que les deux précédentes.
Il est vrai que nous ne recevons plus autant de courrier mais cela ne m'empêche pas d'utiliser mon stylo plume et d'envoyer des cartes souvent confectionnées maison. Mais je dois avouer que leur nombre diminue...
Bons souvenirs moi-même d'échange avec Annette du Devonshire à l'époque devenu Devon que j'ai malheureusement perdu de vue.
Quant à la série Downton Abbey, je ne l'ai encore jamais regardée, je devrais.

Jeanie said...

I use vintage postcards tucked into one of my trees, too. I loved your card this year. Mine all went out late; I'm not alone. Today I received a fist full of them! I'd love to see the Downton exhibit -- I enjoyed the series and the feature film.

Glenda Beall said...

I, too, like the Christmas Cards with a personal note. I have a box of them that were sent to my parents many years ago. I love to get them out and read them. I was remise this year and didn't get out many cards. Partly because I was not well and because I was moving into my new apartment in Roswell, GA. I hope to get back to it next year. Your vintage cards are so beautiful and special. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, a happy new year and that you will stay healthy and happy in 2022.

Joared said...

I enjoyed viewing that PBS TV series and now what you've written here coupled with the photos.

I, too, miss receiving holiday cards and only received 5 this year. Sadly, many who used to send them and write letters in the past decades have died, too.

Shammickite said...

I visited Highclere Castle a few years ago, where Downton Abbey was filmed. It was so familiar to me. almost as if I had been there before!
I wrote about it here: http://ex-shammickite.blogspot.com/2012/05/england-part-vi-downton-abbey.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...