Sunday, May 15, 2011

Blog Intermission No. 12 (entr’acte) Lunch by the river



In my last post “A bridge in Vinings, Georgia” we had parked the car close to Hermi’s bridge. There is a gourmet restaurant called Canoe right there by the banks of the Chattahoochee. I remembered seeing this restaurant almost under water two years ago during the September flood (see my posts here.)




But now the restaurant and its garden looked very attractive.



We decided to have lunch there but first we took a walk in the pretty garden.



It was cool (70 F/21 C) and after the heavy rain of the previous night every little flower had brilliant colors and the Canada Geese were happily munching the shiny grass.


Click on collage to enlarge then click on each picture to biggify

Hermi’s bridge looked very good from the garden and it was hard not to take many pictures. I must have taken about two dozen of the bridge alone.



The views of the Chattahoochee River were lovely too, so I took many pictures from different angles.



I could have stayed a long time taking many pictures but it was already 2:00 PM and time for lunch - just a few more pictures before being seated.




We shared the appetizer which was called Canoe’s House Smoked Salmon with Crispy Potato Cake and Vermont Goat’s Cheese. Very tasty. This was followed with Panko crusted George’s Bank Cod with whipped potatoes and baby spinach on caper brown butter for me. As we ate, it was lovely to look out to the colorful garden.



My husband was often distracted by the antics of the Canada Geese and a variety of birds flying to the feeders.




My husband had the charred steak salad with romaine hearts and shiitake mushrooms on toasted sour dough bread and Caesar dressing. We finished with the Valhrona Chocolate & Salted Caramel Grotto with Pretzel Hazelnut Dust. What can I say – delicious contemporary fare in a comfortable yet classy atmosphere while overlooking a perfect setting with garden and river views…..



Spring in Atlanta with all the majestic trees, the dogwoods in bloom, the azaleas and other brilliant flowers soothes the soul – and a good lunch in a local restaurant soothes the palate.




-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Note: Blogger Break - Post pre-programmed –

20 comments:

Diane said...

This place looks wonderful, the gardens are beautiful and as for the food........ Diane

Friko said...

Why do you ever leave home when you have a restaurant like this on the doorstep?

From the way you describe it, it sounds a wonderful place to go to.

marciamayo said...

I've only eaten at Canoe once and it was years ago. Beautiful post.

DJan said...

I am always pleased to see a post from you, whether preprogrammed or not, they are always such a pleasure to read and look at. Your picture collages are especially gratifying to spend time with!

Lonicera said...

What a spectacular place - I too would have taken scores and scores of pictures. (You don't always know what's going to work till you look at your pictures later at leisure, do you?)
Caroline

Lifecruiser Travel Blog said...

What a wonderful garden. I'd have loved to take a stroll there. (Not in the flooded one though, hi hi) Totally relaxing I bet.

Anonymous said...

You do find the most beautiful places wherever you are. Thank you for great photos once again.

Pondside said...

That dessert....it certainly got my attentions, and I'm not normally one for dessert.
The bridge and gardens are lovely. What a perfect setting for a meal, although after my experience with Canada Geese, I'd be happy to 'delete' them from the scene!

Kay Dennison said...

As always, your photos are marvelous and commentary interesting!!!!

I'd love to 'do lunch' there!!!

Ann said...

as always,your posts cause a yearning in my heart to go back to my parents birthplace..the glorious South! thanks for this lovely post...!

Kay said...

Gorgeous photos! Sounds like you really had a fabulous day! I'm glad spring is finally settling down for you.

Ginnie Hart said...

I had no clue whatsoever, Vagabonde, that the Canoe restaurant is so close to the Vinings bridge from your last post. It so happens that this is one of my daughter's and SIL's favorite restaurants. I have eaten there for lunch once, so I do know whereof you speak. Very elegant.

BTW, that last time Canoe was flooded was its SECOND time...and each time they just rebuild. I can image the flood ins. policy they must pay...if they're even able to get it!

Unknown said...

Beautiful - a great place to appreciate nature!

kyh said...

look at those flowers! so colourful and many varieties. the gardeners have done a very brilliant job in keeping the garden nice and prim. :)

Agnes said...

This garden is a fit setting for painting with watercolorS

Shammickite said...

What a beautiful place to wander around and then enjoy lunch. Gorgeous gardens. And such nice weather too... we are experiencing a week of rain, clouds, cold winds etc, the wettest May for many years. Now, where's my unbrealla?

zaloette said...

A wonderful place. Thank you!

Regards,

Antonio

Jeanie said...

The flowers and garden are stunning and the food sounds simply divine! This one -- Canoe’s House Smoked Salmon with Crispy Potato Cake and Vermont Goat’s Cheese. -- Well, I'd just be thrilled to savor that one! Hope you're having a wonderful time!

My verification word is mustsyi. Is that pronounced "must see?"

Vagabonde said...

Thanks to all of you who came and visited my blog and wrote comments while I was away. I appreciate your visits and kind words. I shall visit your blogs in the coming weeks but I am quite behind in my blog reading so I may be slow with my return comments. I am pleased your enjoyed my intermission posts. I had fun writing them. Thanks again for stopping by.

TorAa said...

Love this Spring report;-)

btw. we will arrive Chicago on July 2 and return to Europe on July 26;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...