Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A magazine request ... and more

This post is starting with the "...more" of the title and is another eclectic post.  Now that the Tour de France is over, life is returning to a normal routine.  I found some lovely apricots at the market, so I made some jam - spiced apricot.

Later I found some good looking raspberries - so made more jam.

My husband is with our daughter and her family, near Nashville, Tennessee, for a couple of weeks.  They traveled to Columbus, Ohio, to see his side of the family.  Our other daughter, who lived in Memphis, Tennessee, moved to Sacramento, California, last April.  Then, before we could go and visit her there, her company promoted her and she had to move again, back to Atlanta this time.  But wait - as soon as she arrived they sent her on business to Florida and Pennsylvania, even before the furniture had arrived in Georgia.  I have been feeding her cats.  Last week while driving on my way back from her town home I saw an "estate sale" sign.  I stopped to have a look.  It was a good sale, with a lot of stuff and inexpensive.  I know I should not look at books anymore because I have so many - but I did.  I only bought 3 books - a book by George Orwell on Dickens, Dali & Others, and another by Eudora Welty "The Golden Apples."

The third book is large.  It is called "Year: Mid-Century Edition, 1900-1950 - The Dramatic Story of 50 Turbulent Years in 2,000 Pictures, 100,000 words.  A Permanent Record of All the Important National and World Events."  I should learn a thing or two from it.  (Click on collage twice to enlarge.)

I paid a total of $5 for these three books (or 3.72 Euros.)  I checked online to see if I made a good deal - the 1946 first edition of the Orwell book is valued at about $30.  The Year book at about $10 but the deal is the first edition Welty book.  In good condition with a dust jacket it starts at $50.  CDs were also for sale, two for $1.  I did get several in a variety of music styles.  So far I have only listened to the Stan Getz and Oscar Peterson Trio CD - it sounds very good.  I like the cut "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered.)

Other purchases were a retro coffee pot - an advertisement for Sanka decaf coffee ($2) and a vintage ceramic salt cellar, made in Czechoslovakia ($2.)  I'm using the little coffee pot while I am alone (but dark roast coffee, not decaf.)  I'll use the salt cellar not for salt, as I don't use much, but to keep my little match boxes handy.

I could not resist that delicate bone china cup from England ($5.)  The lacy tablecloth was also a good deal at $4.

I was pleased with my purchases and then stopped at a new pizza restaurant.  It is called "Uncle Maddio's."  I had a thin crust, extra crispy, Portabella Pesto Pizza: herb pesto sauce, mozzarella, portabella and white mushrooms, feta cheese, Roma tomatoes and fresh basil.  It was tasty and filling - I took half of it home for my dinner.

I am missing watching the Tour de France.  I found out that next year it will start in the Netherlands, in Utrecht.

It's time for some of my observations.

Some of my blogging friends, last year and also this year, have commented that they do not watch the Tour de France anymore because some of the cyclists used drugs such as Lance Armstrong.  As a fan of Lance Armstrong, I was deeply disappointed with him.  It is disheartening to cheer an athlete and then find out that he did not win on his own merit but with the use of drugs or other external means.  There are close to 200 cyclists in the Tour de France each year and most of them are hard working professional who are tested very often.  The Tour de France association is at the forefront on the fight against doping and has made great efforts to eradicate it from the sport.  They perform numerous checks throughout the year and during the race which is the reason why the public has been made aware of the problem.  I enjoy watching the Tour and won't stop because some have been found to use drugs.  It has hurt them, their families and the sport.  For the same reason I keep watching the Olympic Games even though several athletes have tested positive for drugs.


I just checked to find a list of doping cases in professional sports, and there are so many names listed that they are in alphabetical order.  You can check it here on Wikipedia - List of doping cases in sport.  If you click on A for Armstrong, you will see that his name is there but also names of athletes convicted of doping in swimming, boxing, water polo, cricket, wrestling, weightlifting, drag racing, tennis, football (soccer,) shooting, rugby, volley ball, ski jumping, auto racing, American footbal, baseball, boccia, etc.  and this list is just for the athletes whose names start with the letter A!  Using this same logic as for the Tour de France then people should not be watching football, soccer, baseball and tennis anymore.  How about drugs used by musicians, writers, actors etc.?  Same logic applies - no more listening to music, reading books or going to the movies?  I don't think so but it's the same analogy, isn't it?  But there may be other views and opinions on this subject, and that is fine with me.

Some bloggers have beautiful gardens and I love looking at their photos.  Unfortunately, we have a mass of trees, much shade, hard Georgia clay and rocks.  This year again my husband planted some annuals and herbs in containers.

 The view above is of the back yard.  We are not in a subdivision or have neighbors close by so I can place my laundry on the line to dry.  The caladium grew very tall but the basil looks pitiful (on top in photo below.)  In the front yard however the basil is growing nicely (pictured at the bottom below.)  I don't know what happened - same basil.

In the front yard, just like the basil, the plants are growing strong and lush.  The Torenia plant (Torenia fournieri) is a profuse bloomer with a multitude of little upturned violet flowers (the plant is deer resistant as well.)  The green coleus almost looks artificial and the curly caladium has beautiful patterns.  The wild periwinkles are everywhere.  I like their name in French - "pervenche."

In the front yard is a horde of little crawling insects.  If you touch them, they curl up.  They are about 2 cms (1 inch) long and if by chance you step on one it sounds like you walked on a potato chip - a crusty sound.  Does anyone know what they are and if they are good or bad for plants?  They are at the top of the containers also but the plants look healthy.

Now about the magazine request: about a month or so ago I received an email from the photo editor of the magazine "Civil War Times."  They had planned a small story on Allatoona Pass in Georgia for their October issue and were asking if they could use my photograph.  You may remember my photo; it was at the top of my post of November 20, 2013 called "Hiking on historic Allatoona Pass Trail" - click here to see it.  They used my photo for their article.  My post on the pass trail was much longer (as usual) than their story.  A copy of the magazine was courteously sent to me so I could see my picture.

 Civil War Times magazine contains many period photos, eyewitness accounts, maps, travel guides, biographies and more.  For people interested in that historic time period, this magazine is a great source of fascinating stories.  I read only part of the magazine, so I'll go now and keep on reading.

Woman reading in a garden, by Peder Severin Kroyer, Danish, 1851-1909


26 comments:

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

That certainly is a lot of moving and traveling for your daughter. It sounds like she hardly had time to unpack before she was transferred again.

Your garden flowers are lovely. I have also have many of those shade-loving plants in my garden.

Cergie said...

Commençant par la fin, bravo pour la publication de ta photo.
Tu as un jardin difficile mais tu sembles bien t'en sortir, l'idée des plantes en pot est excellente. Cette année c'est ainsi que nous cultivons nos tomates (et aussi dans la demi-barrique à vin qui me servait pour des poissons rouges et dont le fond n'est plus étanche) et cela semble une réussite alors que depuis quelques années le mildiou les attaquaient.
(J'avais appris lors d'une visite au château de Versailles que le décor devant les fenêtres de Maris-Antoinette était changé régulièrement grâce à des fleurs en pots)

Cergie said...

Mon mari m'a fait remarquer cette année qu'il ne pouvait suivre le tour de France sans doute que ses horaires ne s'y prêtaient pas. Ce qui l'intéresse c'est la diversité des paysages. Dans ce domaine nous avons été servis car nous avons découvert Collobrières dans le Var, sa montée escarpée, le haut plateau et aussi avons revisité le Diois, la vallée de la Dôme et les vues sur les falaises du Vercors.

Cergie said...

Je lis aussi que vous êtes très pris avec votre descendance. Cela est notre cas également. Cela demande une grande souplesse d'adaptation et de la compréhension, mais c'est tant agréable !

Cergie said...

En ce qui concerne le dopage... Nous avons appris auj la disparition de Robin William parait-il accro aux stupéfiants.... Les artistes sont bien souvent sur le fil de leur sensibilité mais encore de nos jours....

DJan said...

Wonderful purchases at the estate sale, VB. You practically stole those books, especially the Welty. And thanks for the pictures of your garden. I think many people were disappointed with Armstrong's denials for so long and then finally admitting the truth. I'm not much for watching any sports in any case, but I've always associated the Tour de France with you and therefore it's a wonderful event, like you! :-)

sablonneuse said...

As usual, I enjoyed your post and can't possibly comment on all the interesting things you mentioned. However, with regard to the drug issue, it seems to me that doping is very widespread and some athletes are becoming quite clever in hiding the fact that they take drugs despite the frequent testing.

David said...

Vagabonde, You made some great purchases at that estate sale! We've acquired so much stuff from yard sales, estate sales, flea markets and antique shops that we're now in reverse...selling some of our stuff via consignment stores and an auction house.

That was a great looking pizza!

I agree with you on the drug abuse in sports. While it's frustrating, I still watch the sports that I enjoy...despite the ocassional jerk that goes off the rails with drugs or other forms of bad behavior. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Pondside said...

Another interesting post, designed as though just for my pleasure - eclectic! I have no idea what those worm/bugs are in your garden, but my experience tells me that anything that plentiful is never good!
Congratulations on having your beautiful photo used in the magazine. Someone out there is paying attention!
I was pleased to read that you have been able to indulge in a few small pleasures during your time on your own - your purchases are all of the sort I love too.

Rosaria Williams said...

I used to enjoy estate sales when I lived in LA, but here, I don't see too many signs advertising them. You did acquire some wonderful stuff,btw.

The fact that someone asked to use your photo is just fantastic! Many times, people's photos are just appropriated without any permission whatsoever. Of course, reading your posts is always fun and informative, a whole lot more than any magazine might be.

Dee said...

Dear Vagabonde, ah, I'm breathing a sigh of contentment because I've returned to blogging and discovered another of your postings that takes me on my own "tour" of cooking and reading and nature. You descriptions make my tongue long to taste the food and my eyes long for a walk in the countryside. Thank you.

The doping scandals of the past few years leave me feeling disappointed in the athletes. And I wonder if the stress we in the United States put on winning and on competition is one of the pressures that athletes feel that lead them to doping. Or do they want their names in the charts on winners? I feel sad for them . . . and for all of us who must witness the tarnishing of sport. Peace.

Elephant's Child said...

You only bought three books? Incredible restraint. Love your other purchases too. And your garden.
Congratulations on the use of your photo - and I love that they asked and gave you credit.

Marie-Anne said...

Nice reading your new post, dear Vagabonde, with so many interesting news. If your daughter finally stays in Atlanta, at least she will be closer to you even if she travels a lot for business. I liked your purchases and in particular the salt cellar and the so beautiful English bone china cup with its saucer.
Your older post about the Allatoona Pass Trail was so informative and full of superb photos. No wonder the magazine asked for one your photos!
Regarding your garden, your Torenia plant has lovely flowers! As for the basil, it needs a lot of sun, so in case it is in the shade that would be the problem. The crawling creatures must be millipedes. In the French Wikipedia you can read: ‘Julida, les iules, est un ordre de mille-pattes de la classe des diplopodes. Ils sont détritivores, consommant feuilles et bois morts, fruits décomposés, etc. Parfois, ils se nourrissent également de quelques champignons. Lorsqu'il est inquiété par un prédateur, l'iule se roule en spirale pour se protéger’. Nous en avons aussi dans le jardin et j’en ai meme trouve dans la maison!!!
Je te fais un gros bisou!!!!!!!!

Kay said...

You really got a lot of fabulous deals at the estate sale. I love estate sales, but haven't been to one in ages. Sigh. Your basil is amazing. My brother would be so jealous! He loves to make pesto.

Frances said...

Oh Vagabonde, what a feast of a post you have given us! Having had the pleasure of tasting your delicious jams, I will let your other readers know what treasures you've produced from your market finds this summer.

The estate sale does seem to have also held some treasures. Isn't it amazing that those books had escaped the notice of other dedicated readers?

I do not think that I would wish to have to do all the business-related traveling that's a part of your daughter's life now. Still, It's grand that she's is based near you in Atlanta.

I smiled at your mention of the hard Georgia soil, as it reminded me of what my parents yard and garden was/is like.

Bravo to you on having your photograph used and credited in the upcoming magazine. I imagine that you will be gaining lots of new followers to this excellent site of yours!

xo

Magic Love Crow said...

Wow, a lot going on in this post! Pizza, jam, books, gardening! I am loving everything! Thank you ;o) Congrats on the magazine ;o) Exciting!
I think those bugs are centipedes. I don't know if they will hurt your plants or not?
Big Hugs ;o)

Denise Covey said...

Hi Vagabonde. I'll try to remember everything. Firstly, those foodie pictures had me nearly licking my computer screen and realising I'm suddenly hungry. Love the painting by Kroyer. Just my style. Looks Impressionistic with the soft light.
Congrats on the magazine request. Enjoy!

Have a great weekend. (Do you watch any of the other bike rides based on the Tour de France?)I catch a few through the year.

Denise

Friko said...

A very pleasant collection today. It looks like you are enjoying your solitude and that it gives you plenty of time for reflection and relaxation.

As far as I know from German reports there are doping problems in all sports. In cycling it is almost understood that some form of doping goes on. And, as you say, not just in cycling.

I love your purchases. Yes, I am still tempted to buy little things but can’t really afford to because sooner or later we will have to leave this big house and move to somewhere smaller and then what will I do with all the stuff?

I no longer buy books except for e reading. But for my ipad and kindle I buy lots; I read more than ever now that it has become easy again.

In a way I am sorry not to have real copies of the new books but in the end I’d only have to give them away too.

Jeanie said...

There is much to love about this post, VB, not the least of which is your beautiful garden. And you got a fabulous deal on all your purchases. (Even if the remarkable year book hadn't had an even greater value!) I love them all. I can't resist stopping at a sale. I try to be very controlled as I'm trying to let go, not let in, but it happens and I rarely regret it!

Your break sounds quite lovely, restorative and fun, too!

Congratulations on the Civil War magazine photo. Three cheers.

On doping -- I couldn't agree with you more. The fact that I didn't hear a word about doping in this year's event leads me to believe they are either on top of things or riders are getting sneaker. I prefer to believe the other. Rick, who was once in the national championships (back in the 70s) and rides over 5,000 miles each year, is a strong anti-doping advocate but said that he truly doesn't know how these guys could do so brutal a race without, especially given the times in which they finish. The tour is murder on the body. The fact that people ARE doing that without help says good things to me. And yes, in other sports it is equally prevalent. That was a point well made.

Elaine said...

Congrats on getting your photo published in the Civil War Times. That's quite an honor. You got some nice things at the estate sale. Although we have a lot of garage sales here, usually there are not such wonderful finds as an estate sale.

Nadezda said...

Your photo was published in a magazine, congrats Vagabonde!
I love your containers with herbs and flowers, especially Torenia plant is very nice.
I also liked your purchases, this English porcelain cup is very elegant and is combined well with the lace table cloth. Good chose!

DeniseinVA said...

A wonderful post, one which I enjoyed reading very much. Lots of lovely pictures and thoughts to ponder.

Vicki Lane said...

What wonderful finds you made at the estate sale! And your jam -- I can almost smell it!

Ginnie Hart said...

After reading your thoughts on the Tour de France, Vagabonde, I thought of one of my favorite movies of all time: "The Triplets of Belleville." Surely you have seen it. And you're right about how drugs are used in every venue of life that we "worship," no matter what. As someone once said, "everybody does it, not just Lance Armstrong." That doesn't make it right, of course, but it's hard to say one needs to become the scapegoat for them all.

Anyway, I love how your posts go from one thing to another. Your life is never dull or boring!

Shammickite said...

I always enjoy going to estate sales too, and I've made a few purchases, but even if I don't buy anything, it's so fascinating to look at what's being sold, and do some people-watching!
I'm also a jam maker.... this year I have made Marmalade (back in Feb), strawberry, raspberry and blueberry. And peach season is coming!
I had one of my blog photos published by a magazine too.... it's a great feeling isn't it?

Amanda said...

I even don't know who won the Tour de France this year. Good deal on the 3 books and other purchases. I am sure you love having your daughter close to you. Lovely jams by the way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...