Tuesday, April 25, 2023

The mountains are calling, and I must go ...

In a letter to his sister Sarah in September 1873, John Muir (Scottish-American environmentalist, naturalist, author and more, 1838-1914) was recalling his longest and hardest trip into the mountains, but still felt determined to be off again, working in the mountains... He would wake up at 4:30 am and start writing ... he told her "The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can..." I have this quotation painted on a piece of wood in my kitchen (that I bought in Dahlonega, a southern Appalachian mountain village in Georgia.)
As for me, I'm not called to the mountains for work, but to lift my spirits and improve my outlook on life. In a 2013 post "Times goes by in a park..." I explained that since childhood I have lived near mountains or hills. High places have been a sort of refuge for me from the distress of the world. In time of sadness, such as those painful last weeks in Nashville after the school shootings in my neighborhood, I crave going to the mountains. On the first anniversary of the month my husband died I drove to the North Carolina and the North Georgia mountains to find solace in nature (see my post of Oct. 2019 "Lake Chatuge in the N GA Mountains." (I hope I can convey the feelings because as I get older I sometime search for words and they usually come back in French first (my native language) then I have to translate them into English!) A week or so ago, I drove to my house in Georgia then a couple of days later drove on to the North GA Mountains, to Hiawassee (population as of 2022: 961.) I stayed at a lodge on a hill overlooking Lake Chatuge. Fortunately, there was a lovely view of the lake and mountains from my little balcony.
A mile from this lodge is the Hamilton Rhododendron Gardens. The weekend before I arrived in Hiawassee was the start of their "Rhododendron Festival" which lasts five weekends from April 14 through May 14, 2023, with craft vendors, live music, plant sale, etc. The gardens are open all year long. From May through October the gardens also host moonlight concerts. Peak rhododendron viewing is usually from mid April through May.
I went there on Tuesday April 18 which was a bit early for this season; because of the unusual hard freeze this past winter most of the rhododendrons were not blooming yet, although some different varieties were in pots for sale (click on collage to enlarge and read panels.)
Fred R. Hamilton, Sr. (1914-1996) and his wife Hazel began growing rhododendrons in their Atlanta garden in 1952. There they collected native rhododendrons and azaleas. They also had a mountain getaway on the slopes of Lake Chatuge in Hiawassee, Georgia, where they developed hybrids and where, later, they relocated their 1000+ plants. In 1981 they donated them to Towns County in what is now known as the Hamilton Rhododendron Gardens. This 33 acre enchanting garden is located atop the Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds campus. It contains more than 1,500 rhododendrons (400 varieties) as well as native azaleas, tulip magnolias, dogwoods, redbuds, hydrangeas, and wildflowers native to the Appalachian Mountains like Solomon's seal, wild ginger, lady slippers, trout lily, and trillium. In addition in 2018, as part of the Daffodil Project, and international campaign to plant 1.5 million daffodils worldwide as a tribute to the children lost in the Holocaust, 600 daffodil bulbs were added to the garden.
There were few visitors around the day I stopped by the gardens. It was a beautiful day, warm and sunny. Even if most of the rhododendrons were not in bloom many of the azalea bushes were. Azaleas, with tubular and funnel shape flowers, are in the genus rhododendron; they are deciduous and lose their leaves in the fall. Rhododendrons, with bell shaped flowers, are evergreen and keep their leaves in winter. Fred Hamilton developed the yellow azalea, the only domestic yellow azalea in existence, which he named after his wife, Hazel (Rhododendron flammeum 'Hazel Hamilton'.)
I did not walk the whole 2 miles of mulched woodland trails through the property as some of the walking paths were winding down to the lake shore and were rather steep. There were many benches scattered along the way. I just traded in my old Nikon camera for a newer model and was testing it. Although to make sure, I also carried my Canon and small Sony (and then I even took photos with my cell phone, because why not.)
One of the most spectacular shrubs there was the "flame" azalea. It is native of the Appalachian Mountains. Mountain people call it also butterfly azalea or wild honeysuckle. The striking flowers certainly lighten the woodland like little fires.
There were small wood bridges along the trails.
I walked very slowly because I kept stopping to take closeups of the flowers.
As I made my way around the pine bark trail some bursting soft pink azalea shrubs lead me to the Bonnie Day arbor. I enjoyed resting on a bench for a little while.
Then I took the 'Cut Across Trail' to have a look at the Claude Brooks waterwheel. First a profusion of blooming hot pink rhododendrons greeted me at the Claudia Brooks overlook.
I took more closeups of some of the plants for sale next to the garden shop.
These stunning gardens are very peaceful and tranquil; an enchanting spot to relax and escape from it all. The Hamilton Rhododendron Gardens was designated a state botanical garden by the Georgia Legislature in 2003. It boasts the largest collection of rhododendron in the Southeast. Then it was time to return to the lodge.
A needed rest on my little balcony was welcome. Then as the evening grew I soaked in the beauty of the sky changing color over the lake.
"This grand show is eternal. It is always sunrise somewhere; the dew is never all dried at once; a shower is forever falling; vapor ever rising. Eternal sunrise, eternal sunset, eternal dawn and gloaming, on seas and continents and islands, each in its turn, as the round earth rolls." -John Muir, 1938.

22 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

That looks absolutely glorious. Solace and heart balm at its best. I am so glad you could have this break and thank you for sharing some of the highlights.

Cloudia said...

Oh my, I feel as if I've been on a vacation!

DJan said...

I truly enjoyed your delightful walk and the amazing flowers you showed me. That last quote from John Muir is simply perfect for anyone who loves nature. Thank you for your beautiful and uplifting post.

Jeanie said...

Mountains are lovely and healing but I think gardens are even more so. This is spectacular -- those rhododendrons knock my socks off. It will be a bit before we see such beauty here so thanks for sharing it and reminding me that it WILL come!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

There is no question that mountains have an appeal of their own and there is comfort in their majesty. One of the great accomplishments of my life is to have spent time in the great moutain ranges of the world - Himalayas, Andes, Rockies, Alps, Atlas etc - but local hills have their own charm too, and have the ability to calm a troubled soul.

David said...

Hi Vagabonde, Great views from your room at the lodge! We love the mountains and hills as well. We moved to East Tennessee for their beauty as well as the forests and the lakes. Big change from the scene in the Chicago suburbs. Thanks for the information re: the Hamilton Rhododendron Gardens. We have never gotten the timing right to see them in all their glory so now I have a time frame to work with. We love our azaleas too...with brilliant white ones in our back yard and pink ones in the front yard. One nice thing about photography is that it gives one (me especially) an excuse to stop and catch my breath. Hills are really tough without stops!

Love good sauerkraut with either hot dogs or pork chops...but I guess in this case I'd go for the pork chops. As for corned beef and cabbage, I really do enjoy it with some nice mustard on the side but its not my wife's favorite. As for the Klement's Hot Dogs, there is a Fresh Market at 235 Franklin Road in Brentwood. I suspect that since you'd probably use one hot dog per meal, if you froze them separately, a half dozen of them would last you for months. They do freeze well. You can call to see if your Fresh Market carries Klement's hot dogs. (615) 373-9402. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Anonymous said...

Merci beaucoup pour votre passage et votre commentaire, et surtout pour cette revigorante promenade restituée par votre texte et vos splendides photos. C’est bien de se réveiller (il est 7h heure locale) avec cette débauche de couleurs et de paysages merveilleux et qui offrent un effet, du réconfort. Je ne connais pas cet auteur John Muir, mais ses paroles sont d’une grande sagesse. Cette concentration et cette diversité de rhododendrons est fascinante. Évidemment en tant que français je n’ai pu m’empêcher de penser à la chanson se Sim. La connais tu ? Je te laisse un lien, elle est amusante et c’est tres vite une sorte d’earworn :-) (kwarkito)

kwarkito said...

voici le lien sont je t'ai précédemment parlé https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjWwzFzvh5k

Jenn Jilks said...

What a wonderful post! I enjoyed your adventures.

The Furry Gnome said...

Wonderful post Vagabonde! The only place we've seen Rhododendrons like that is at Kew Gardens, though I watch a lot of Appalachian Trail videos and see them there. Thanks for your comment on my last post. I do enjoy you posts even if they are long and detailed compared to others. It's a style I prefer to read and learn something from.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

A beautiful place to visit

stardust said...

I’m happy with the beautiful blooms, colors, and fresh air of the mountain. In the previous post, it’s so irritating about no gun control despite many deaths from gun violence. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that same-minded people stand up together to win the next important election to make a change.

Granny Annie said...

Happy for finding your blog and thank you for visiting mine. Can you say Rhododendron three times fast? :-)

Polly said...

Gardens, mountains and woods are beautiful places. Your photos are gorgeous.

Bill said...

A very beautiful place to visit. Lovely photos!

jabblog said...

Rhododendrons and azaleas are so beautiful and varied. Your photographs are lovely.

Mae Travels said...

Thank you for taking us on this beautiful visit to the mountains. I agree that this is a peaceful and calming type of scenery, wonderful for the soul! Your cameras must all be doing their jobs well as the photos are lovely -- doing their jobs with a bit of framing and choosing by you the owner!

I hope your cooking went well a few weeks ago when we exchanged messages on the topic of eggplant!

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Roderick Robinson said...

The mountains used to call me too. In my youth for rock-climbing, in middle-age for ski-ing. Both of them anti-instinct activities, now far too dangerous for an 87-year-old.. As a result I am no longer tempted; merely looking at scenes where I previously "did" things isn't enough. Better that I stay close to a keyboard and create a new world out of my imagination, fighting the good fight against forgetfulness and the uncertain business of putting one foot in front of the other.

One thing that is comparatively unaffected is speaking French. Except that I must now modify that statement somewhat. I tell French people that I am not competent enough to "speak" French but I can "communicate" in French. Briefly, my French is non-idiomatic.

But I can play the conundrum game, the French like that. I accosted the manager of a Monsieur Bricolage store. Said I didn't know the name of what of I was searching for but that it rend le lame d'un couteau plus efficace" He frowned, then his face was suffused with intellectual joy. Aha! Une lime."

I trust you too would have been able to give me the noun from the definition.

Kay G. said...

I love Hiawassee!! Were you able to get to Brasstown Bald too? It's not too far away and once you park they have a bus that takes you to the top of you don't want to go on the trail. I love the rhododendrons and wild azaleas! We have walked on that trail but it was too early for the blooms but the lake snd trees are lovely too. You show us such beauty!

Dewena said...

Just reading the Muir quotation did something to my heart because I am a mountain girl born and bred with family still in the Carolina mountains. Each time over the decades that we traveled to Asheville and then to Blowing Rock I felt as if I'd come home. And when I was a child we would drive from Walhalla SC up into the mountains to visit family far up in the mountains and I remember standing on a high bluff with my father and uncles and hearing stories about when the Hiwassee Dam was constructed and the flooding of the valley below us. My husband and I took our children to those mountains many times over their childhood to choose rhododendrons for our garden center. Each time we left the mountains I felt that I was leaving a part of me behind. How I would love to go back but my traveling days are behind me so this post was very special to me. I also want to say thank you for the previous post you wrote on Nashville Grieving. Somehow I've lost track of your blog the last few years but I want you to know that I amen all you wrote. I went many times uptown to the Covenant church over the years, attending the many special music programs they hosted, and I listen to the Sunday services on my phone weekly. The shootings there were one of the most horrific happenings in my life and I'm still so angry about it. Only the protests of young people following it gave me hope that someday when they vote there will be change. And this is coming from someone who voted Republican all my life until I voted for President Obama. I still share many of the values of the Republican party of my childhood in the 1950s but could pull my hair out in frustration that our country has done nothing to stop school shootings when the answer is so obvious, or should be, whether a Democrat or Republican or Independent. It looks as if our young people will have to be the ones to do it someday.

DUTA said...

Mountains and Gardens definitely uplift our spirit. Benches and wood bridges along the trails are very useful when walking.
Your photos do great justice to the variety of flower shapes and colors.
Thanks for sharing.

Jeannie said...

"The mountains are calling and I must go."

That explains my heart. I hear the call too. Whenever we discuss downsizing due to our ages, my response to my husband is always, I want to move to the mountains. And then the reality of cleaning out the garage, the basement, the shed, closets, and on and on, makes us procrastinate another day.

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...